Published on 6/1/2014
- Students gain a grasp on the necessary content knowledge related to the given project: Problems about traffic safety
- Students demonstrate their understanding of themselves as well as self-learning through the process of finding information
- Students consciously abide by traffic laws and community mobilization and implementation; habits, inquiry skills through IT facilities.
Ages 11 - 13
Ages 8 - 10
Art / Design
Twenty-first century skills
21st Century Skills
Knowledge building & critical thinking
Global awareness & civic literacy
ICT for learning
Problem solving & innovation (creativity)
Electronic white board
Project based learning (PBL)
*Before lesson: Creating excitement- Preparation
- Detailed planning for the project
- Write information on class information boardand inform on the school's campus radio
- Sending a letter to the parents to ask for help
- Asking the management board for the introduction letter of visiting necessary locations in order to carry out the project
- Registering to borrow computer lab, projector, camera, recorder
- Handing out KWL map
- Identify places for students to carry out their group's mission: Orthopaedics Hospital of Ho Chi Minh City, Ho Chi Minh City Department of Transportation, City tour around some of the city streets.
* Week 1: Teacher orientation - Students receive group tasks
- Presentation of all teacher preparation to launch projects to students
- Conduct a class discussion and ask students to consider the following questions:
• Is it possible to avoid such that accident? If so, how?
• What other risk may occur to us?
• Are there any measures that will help prevent accidents and warn motorists and pedestrians?
- Write down all comments and answers on one sheet of paper. Use students’ opinions to identify their prior knowledge about safety and types of evidence they use to support their opinions.
After discussing the solutions and recording all the comments, the essential question has been raised: How to make life surround us better?
- Teachers and students agreed on four key issues requiring in project researches (for those students working in groups):
+ Group 1: Study about the situation of road traffic in recent years. (in the role of journalists of Traffic Safety Section)
+ Group 2: Learn about the causes of road traffic accidents. (in the role of traffic polices)
+ Group 3: Investigating the consequences of traffic accidents. (role-play)
+ Group 4: Measures to prevent road traffic accidents. (as hospital doctors)
- Students are provided with forms and requisites in order to conduct their project (their parents are also encouraged to equip them with means for the project to be done)
- Experts of the field are also invited to talk to the students:
+ A doctor from The Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City _ a parent of a student.
+ A traffic policeman _ a parent of a student.
*Week 2: Group implementation
- After being assigned, students start to research and collect information by browsing the internet, conducting surveys, visiting the Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Hospital, The Department of Transport of Ho Chi Minh City and making a city tour.
- At the end of the day each group would report the data they have collected to their form teacher.
- The groups’ results would be saved in OneDrive so that the teacher can follow what they do.
- During the time of the plan conduction, when the students have problems, their teacher would use eliciting questions to encourage them to work out the solution.
- The groups are asked to design or make their products during the time they conduct their plan (the products can be posters, leaflets, banners, speeches, Power Point Presentation, or a play…)
- Students are also asked to submit their field journal.
- When the products have been made, groups of students would present them to the whole class.
- Other students discuss, give comments and debate over the ideas.
- Students are asked to be the judges who would give scores to other groups’ products and also their own product.
- The teacher makes overall assessment and gives the task completion certificates to the students
- Students submit their KWL plan to their teacher
*Post Plan: Networking
- Making presentation, spreading propaganda in front of the whole school as a public propaganda.
- Uploading the presentations on Facebook, Youtube… for teachers and students to watch as a source of reference materials; burning CDs to show at the hall in the breaktime as well to send to students’ parents to propagandize the transportation safety.
Sign in to view or download resources
Why do I need to sign in? Microsoft respects your privacy. A global community, the Microsoft Educator Network asks you to sign in to participate in discussions, access free technology tools, download thousands of learning activies, take online learning or connect with colleague.