As 2014 dawns on us, we resume our leadership positions with some of us starting new academic years, new semesters, new quarters and others continuing what they started in 2013.
I hope this blog would lay the foundation for the days and months to follow and become inspirational. I would like to start with my favorite quote by John Quincy Adams – “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
The most important assets of any institution are its people. Any leader who carries his/her people along will always outshine and prosper. Some ideas that have helped me as a leader are:
- Value People - everyone loves feeling worthwhile and wanted. Make this your number one priority and you will be surprised to see your school soar.
- Encourage People – in my experience of developing leaders, students and teachers respond equally well to encouragement; it infuses new life in them.
- Care for People – students or teachers do not care how much you know unless they know how much you care, so treat them well.
- Hone Talent – everyone has talent. As leaders it is our duty to identify this talent and to encourage everyone to reach their highest levels of competence and accomplishments.
- Communicate well – practice active listening and listen carefully to what everyone around you is saying along with presenting your own thoughts effectively.
- Walk the Talk – Be the role model, behave exactly in the same manner as you would want others to behave. In the words of Mahatma Gandhi – “Be the change you want to see in others.”
Let us make a commitment to ourselves to lead in 2014 as we rise in our world with greatness, brilliance and genius. I wish this new year be your fittest, happiest, boldest, most prosperous and fruitful year yet.